MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The Design Award registration and nomination forms, along with entry fees, are due August 1, 2018. Submission is due by September 12, 2018. Registration can be completed at the chapter website: www.aiawhv.org or by mailing in the form. The entry fee does not include the cost to attend the Award Gala.
FEES (per entry):
$200 for AIA members
$100 for Associate Chapter Members
$300 for non-members
$25 per student submission
The 2018 Design Awards Program will honor projects exhibiting excellence in design. Program goals are to recognize local architects who have made a positive aesthetic and social contribution to the built environment, and as a result have increased public awareness of quality architectural design.
To achieve these goals, the Design Awards review criteria will include the following:
- Clear program statements and resolution
- Synthesis of building, site and context
- Design excellence
Completed or unbuilt work by a licensed architect, associate AIA member, or firm working in an office located within the chapter area. In the case of firms with multiple offices - the office based within the chapter area must have been the primary office producing the work. The work must have been completed between January 2012 and August 2018.
- REGISTRATION DUE August 1, 2018
- SUBMISSIONS DUE September 12, 2018
- JURY REVIEW September 2018
- AWARDS PRESENTATION October 2018
- PR NOTICES October 2018
The Design Awards jury shall be comprised of a panel of architects from another regional AIA chapter. The jury shall review projects based on the program outline, criteria, and rules as described herein. By entering, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of the judges. Any dispute regarding these rules or awards will be resolved by the jury and the executive committee of the AIA Westchester + Hudson Valley, and their decision shall be final.
Entries should be submitted in one of the following categories, each of which includes both new construction projects and additions or renovations. Categories are intended to be inclusive. If you feel your submission does not fit into a category, please proceed with your submission and the committee members and/or jury members will place your entry in a category. The number of awards granted shall be at the sole discretion of the jury. Additionally, based on their review of the submissions, the jury may decide that awards not be granted in every category.
- Commercial / Corporate
- Institutional - Education, Medical, Religious
- Interior Architecture
- Municipal/ Community/ Planning
- Residential-Single Family (new construction / alteration and additions)
- Residential-Multi-Family (new construction / alteration and additions)
- Historic Restoration / Adaptive Re-use
- Unbuilt Project
The jury has the option of selecting projects within specific areas of excellence for special awards. Special award categories might include:
- Preservation and Sustainability
- Public Interior Architecture
- Neo-Traditional Architecture
- Work by emerging professionals
Each entry shall be submitted digitally, and shall include:
- SUBMISSION PDF: contains the confidential anonymous entry submission for jury review.
- PUBLICATION FOLDER IDENTIFICATION PDF FORM: contains project and team identification, and a brief description for presentation and publication.
- MARKETING IMAGES: 3 - 5 project images, and a brief description for presentation and publication.
- Identify this PDF as “SUB-Project Name”. “Project name” is the actual name of your project. The Submission PDF shall include no logos or text identifying the submitter.
- The first page of the Submission PDF shall include the Project Information Sheet which shall include “Project Name”, “Short Project Summary”, “Project Type”, “Project Square Footage”, “Project Budget”, “Completion Date”, and “Zoning Constraints.””.
- The first or second page of the Submission PDF shall be included on the Project Narrative Sheet, which shall describe the project goals, solutions, and accomplishments. The project Narrative shall not exceed 300 words.
- The submission PDF shall be formatted as a single document/ file, with multiple pages. The number of pages in the Submission PDF is at the discretion of the entrant. However, over 20 pages is discouraged.
- The maximum size for the Submission PDF file shall be 20MB.
- Submission graphics shall be at the discretion of the entrant. However, as applicable, the submission should include the following: site plan, floor plan(s), elevations, photographs (built projects), and site context photographs. Site and/or building sections are recommended.
- Photography credit may remain on photographs. Where authorship is not indicated on the images or would compromise anonymity, list credits in the I IDENTIFICATION dentification PDF FORM.